Join a thriving community of innovators, entrepreneurs and like-minded businesses
A supportive community of technology specialists
Network with like-minded entrepreneurs, collaborate with graduate talent, and access award-winning research and University campus facilities
Take advantage of a wider support network
In addition to your creative neighbours within Innovation Centre, your business is surrounded by a wider community that brings all sorts of added advantages.
Simply being based on the Knowledge Gateway itself opens you up to other businesses just like yours, presenting great opportunities to collaborate, socialise and network. The adjoining university campus means not only do you have access to technology research and expertise, but you can also go to the gym, do some shopping or even do your banking in your lunch break.
So, whether you want to pick the brains of one of our own experienced business leaders, or connect with other like-minded entrepreneurs in a socially distanced environment, we’re can make that happen.
Join a community of like-minded entrepreneurs
Outstanding Campus Facilities
The University of Essex’s Colchester campus is a lively and exciting place to be based, offering businesses access to incredible facilities:
- Research facilities including ESSEXLab
- State-of-the-art interpreting lab, similar to UN standards
- Four-star Wivenhoe House Hotel and brasserie
- Conferences on-campus arranged by Event Essex
- Childcare at Wivenhoe Park Nursery 8am-6pm
- Graphic design and print for your marketing
- Sports centre and gym with membership and classes
- Excellent cafes, restaurants and bars
- 24-hour mini-market, banks, ATMs, post office
- Lakeside Theatre and Art Exchange gallery
- Landscaped parkland covering more than 200 acres
Essex Startups are a dedicated service offering support to students and graduates, of the university, who are interested in starting their own business and want to discuss, develop, test and launch their ideas.
No matter where they are in their start-up journey, the Essex Startups Teams are there to help with advice, workshops and tips, to support the creation of successful business ventures.
With a range of highly skilled mentors, they offer trusted and experienced advice on growing early-stage and scalable businesses. They are here to help students and graduates if:
- They have an idea for a business but don’t know where to start;
- They are starting a business and looking for advice on next-steps, or;
- They are up and running, looking to grow their reach.
Throughout the academic year the team also host a variety of workshops, bootcamps, funding competitions and innovation-led activities, all tailored to help their community of student and graduate entrepreneurs get business ready.
Free Business Support & Expertise
It’s a challenge running any business, especially during times of uncertainty or when you’re just starting out. That’s why we offer a completely free package of business support to each and every customer, to help you with everything you need to succeed.
- One-to-one business support
- Connect with external experts and potential clients
- Access to support programmes
- Virtual and in-person business masterclasses
- Networking opportunities
Neil Griffin, Innovation Director
What our customers say
Access University Connections & Resources
Our Centre is based at the Knowledge Gateway research and technology park, on the University of Essex campus in Colchester – an official University Enterprise Zone designated by the Government as a centre for nurturing and supporting new digital and creative businesses.
This means that Innovation Centre customers can benefit from short and long-term support from students and academics, as well access to cutting-edge research, equipment, expertise and facilities.
Find out how our customers are thriving at ICKG
Grow your technology business at the University of Essex’s Knowledge Gateway.
For more information about pricing, availability, or to arrange a virtual or socially distanced tour, please get in touch.
10 minutes from Colchester High Street
26 miles from Chelmsford on the A12
46 minutes from London Liverpool Street
30 miles to London Stansted Airport